Month: December 2019

Man United team to play Wolfsburg in the Champions League – excited by this selection?

first_img 11 11 11 8. Juan Mata (right winger) 17. Daley Blind (centre back) 9. Anthony Martial (striker) 12. Chris Smalling (centre back) 11 11 11 36. Matteo Darmian (left back) 11 11 10. Wayne Rooney (attacking midfielder) 28. Morgan Schneiderlin (centre midfield) Manchester United welcome Wolfsburg to Old Trafford in their second Champions League clash on Wednesday night, as they look to get some points on the board in a group that offers the Red Devils no guarantees. The horror injury to Luke Shaw largely overshadowed their poor performance against PSV Einhoven in their opening game of the elite competition two weeks’ ago, and Louis van Gaal will need his side to avoid any more errors if they are to progress. Nonetheless, United should be high in confidence following their comfortable victory over Sunderland at the weekend and will be eager to see their domestic form hit Europe.However, they may have to do so without four senior stars who are doubtful having been forced to sit out their final training session. Will van Gaal therefore make some changes to his line up?Take a look at talkSPORT’s predicted United XI by clicking the yellow above, right. 4. Phil Jones (right back) 7. Memphis Depay (left winger) 11 1. David De Gea (goalkeeper) – to see the full line up, in squad number order, click the arrow above! What are your thoughts on our prediction? Let us know by leaving a comment 31. Bastian Schweinsteiger (centre midfield) 11 11last_img read more

Robbie Keane will play for Ireland unless this happens…

first_img 2 Roy Keane Asked if the LA Galaxy striker would be there for Thursday’s Group D clash in Dublin, Keane said this… Roy Keane is confident Robbie Keane will be available on Thursday: “Unless he’s breastfeeding he should be alright.”https://t.co/E3qSujoXUT— RTÉ Soccer (@RTEsoccer) October 6, 2015KEANE: SUNDERLAND CHIEFS ‘NEED TO HAVE A GOOD LOOK AT THEMSELVES’center_img 2 Republic of Ireland assistant manager Roy Keane expects top scorer Robbie Keane to be available for the team’s Euro 2016 qualifier against Germany – despite the player’s wife giving birth in Los Angeles on Monday.last_img read more

FIFA presidential election to go ahead in February 2016

first_img1 FIFA’s executive committee has confirmed its presidential election will go ahead as planned on February 26 next year.There had been uncertainty surrounding the vote after president Sepp Blatter and UEFA president Michel Platini were handed provisional 90-day suspensions two weeks ago.FIFA held an emergency meeting in Zurich on Tuesday and has, however, decided to retain the election date, with the deadline for nominations on Monday.The governing body’s twitter account read: “FIFA ExCo reconfirms 26 February 2016 as the date of the extraordinary elective congress in Zurich.”The decision places added doubt on Platini’s bid for the presidency.The Frenchman has already submitted his candidacy but is being investigated over a £1.35million payment received from Blatter in 2011, which he says relates to consultancy work completed nine years earlier.Platini denies any wrongdoing and is awaiting the verdict of the FIFA appeals committee after challenging his suspension.He told French newspaper Le Monde in an interview published on Monday that it was “shameful” his name was being “dragged through the mud”.last_img read more

‘Divock Origi is better than Anthony Martial!’ – Reaction as Liverpool forward nets hat-trick

first_imgDivock Origi scored his first goal for Liverpool on Wednesday – before adding two more to complete a hat-trick at Southampton. The Reds were 6-1 winners at St Mary’s and as they scored their third goal, the Belgian got a lucky touch onto Alberto Moreno’s drive and he was awarded the strike. He then followed that up by bagging two extremely well-taken goals in the second half to show Reds fans why the club paid around £10m for his services.Origi’s goals outshone the double scored by Daniel Sturridge in the space of four minutes, as the England man made his return from injury to play his first match under Klopp. Origi, 20, picked up the plaudits, as you can see below… 1 SEE HERE – League Cup sem-final draw: Featuring Liverpool, Manchester City, Everton and Stokecenter_img ‘Divock Origi is better than Anthony Martial!’ – Reaction as Liverpool forward scores three in League Cup win last_img read more

‘Chelsea are back! Diego Costa is back! Thanks Guus Hiddink!’ Blues fans optimistic

first_img1 Chelsea have looked shadows of the side which eased to the Premier League title last season, but they may finally be back. The Londoners have not lost in their last four Premier League matches now, after starting 2016 with a 3-0 win over Crystal Palace. The visitors grew in confidence at Selhurst Park, in a much-improved team performance as Oscar, Willian and Diego Costa were on the scoresheet.Since parting company with legendary manager Jose Mourinho before Christmas, Chelsea have not lost, with victories over Palace and Sunderland and draws with Watford and Man United. Sunday’s performance against Alan Pardew’s injury-hit Eagles proved to be the turning point though, as they capped fine individual performances with a team performance – something they have not showed much this season. It was their first away win in the Premier League since August and optimistic fans took to social media to express their delight. See below: Chelsea celebrate in the 3-0 win at Selhurst Park last_img read more

FA announce it will investigate West Brom ‘coin throw’ incident

first_img1 Chris Brunt argues with fans The Football Association has announced it is investigating the incident in which an object was thrown from the crowd at Chris Brunt after today’s FA Cup tie between Reading and West Brom.The Baggies lost 3-1 and after the game Northern Ireland star Brunt believed a coin had been thrown at him by the fans and struck him in the face. He said: “I was walking towards our supporters at the end, and they thought it was okay to throw a coin at their own players. I’m disgusted.“If they want to come forward and say they don’t like what they’ve seen then that’s fine. Fans are frustrated we were 1-0 up and lost.“They paid a lot of money to come, but a small minority spoilt it. There were young kids there. I was absolutely disgusted and ashamed.”last_img read more

in the

first_imgHALLOWEEN EVENTS Looking for Halloween activities in the South Bay? Turn to Page A5, or check our links blog online at www.insidesocal.com/dailylink. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Briefs

first_imgCharge dropped in baby’s death For the fourth time, a murder charge was dismissed Thursday against a USC student whose newborn was found dead in a trash bin, although a judge called the student’s behavior “disturbing and disgusting.” Holly Ashcraft, 23, of Billings, Mont., also had an involuntary manslaughter charge thrown out by Judge Kathleen Kennedy. She still faces a charge of child abuse in connection with the death of her newborn in October 2005. Prosecutors have filed murder charges against Ashcraft four times, and four times judges have dismissed the charges for lack of evidence. “What she’s done is disturbing … it’s disgusting … but I don’t think (prosecutors) have proven murder,” Kennedy said Thursday in rejecting the charge again. “The evidence is not there.” Ashcraft is accused of dumping her newborn son’s body in a trash bin in an alley near the university in October 2005. LONG BEACH Man gets life in wife’s death A 67-year-old man was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole Thursday for orchestrating the murder-for-hire of his estranged wife, who was killed as police officers were outside her Long Beach home investigating a report of a prowler. Before the sentence was imposed, Manfred Schockner suggested that police could have stopped his estranged wife, Lynn, from being stabbed to death on Nov. 8, 2004, at her home in the Bixby Knolls area of Long Beach. Long Beach Superior Court Judge Gary Ferrari countered, “This case is all about you. It’s all about your insatiable greed. You could have walked away from that marriage a millionaire. You had to have it all, so you had your wife’s throat slit, and, just as bad, you made your son an orphan.” LOS ANGELES ACLU sues over headscarf in jail A Muslim woman arrested for riding a commuter train without a valid ticket has filed a federal lawsuit, claiming her religious freedom was violated when she was forced to remove her headscarf when she was taken to jail. Jameelah Medina also said she was intimidated by a deputy who accused her of being a terrorist and called Islam an “evil” religion, according to the suit filed in U.S. District Court on Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California. The suit names the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department and Deputy Craig Roberts of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Cindy Beavers said female inmates are asked to remove head-coverings for security reasons. – From news services160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SCANNING THE AREA LOS ANGELES 18 arrested after probe of killing Eighteen people were arrested after an investigation into the shooting death of a man who confronted a group of taggers expanded to involve the Mexican Mafia, authorities said Thursday. Robert Whitehead was shot to death east of Los Angeles last year when he tried to keep the taggers from spray-painting a neighbor’s garage. Looking into his death, investigators identified those they believe are responsible and uncovered what they said was a separate plot among people with ties to the Mexican Mafia. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsOne of those arrested, Anthony Castillo, has been charged with killing Whitehead. Another man, Robert Lopez, is wanted in connection with the killing and is still at large. Both Castillo and Lopez are known gang members, investigators said. Cooley said the investigation expanded far beyond the scope of the initial probe after authorities uncovered an alleged plot led by Maria Dolores Llantada, 43, whose common-law husband is a member of the Mexican Mafia. According to authorities, Llantada plotted to kill two rivals who were vying to take control of the neighborhood around La Puente, an unincorporated area about 20 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. She and five others have been charged with conspiracy to commit murder. LOS ANGELES last_img read more

RPV votes to give hedge the boot

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsOnce the motion is adopted, Trump will have three weeks to chuck the hedge. “The City Council should be ashamed of its decision,” Trump told the Daily Breeze. “It’s very sad that the town is willing to destroy this beautiful hedge. There’s no plant as beautiful as the ficus and no plant that does the trick like the ficus.” Trump contended the 10-foot-tall hedge was necessary to block views from the driving range of “unsightly” neighboring homes. He said he plans to move the trees to another one of his properties in need of ficus. He did not know what, if anything, he would replant in place of the purged hedge. The council also voted unanimously to only extend the driving range’s temporary opening permit until Jan. 18 to ensure the maverick billionaire complies. “They don’t want to consider a further extension (of the permit) until they know the ficus hedge issue has been resolved,” said Carolynn Petru, deputy city manager. The Rancho Palos Verdes City Council has finally said good riddance to Donald Trump’s ficus hedge. The council voted unanimously Tuesday to order the real estate mogul to remove the leafy barrier on the Trump National Golf Club driving range. “I wish they could be out by Christmas, that would make a great Christmas present,” said newly appointed Mayor Doug Stern. The council is set to take the final action Dec. 18 of finding the ficus in violation of the property’s permit, which states vegetation must, when possible, be native and drought tolerant and that it not affect views from neighboring properties. megan.bagdonas@dailybreeze.com160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

TENSION MOUNTS AMONG DONEGAL’S BRIGHTEST YOUNG ENTREPRENEURS

first_imgSome of the Donegal finalists in this year’s competition for Ireland’s Best Young Entrepreneur pictured with Danny McEleney of Donegal Local Enterprise Office and Gerry Moan at their training day in the Donegal Local Enterprise Office in Letterkenny.Tension is mounting among some of Donegal’s brightest young entrepreneurs, as the race towards the county final of Ireland’s Best Young Entrepreneur (IBYE) competition enters its closing stages.The local finals of the contest will take place on September 10th and there is €50,000 to be won in three different categories on the night.However before any of the short-listed finalists can get their hands on the cash, they first have to go through an intensive local mentoring and boot-camp programme.“This is the second year of the competition and we were delighted to see that entries were up this year,” Michael Tunney Head of Enterprise in Donegal Local Enterprise Office said. From those initial entries a total of 25 businesses progressed to the mentoring stages an experience Mr. Tunney said he believes will benefit them all greatly.“All of the finalists in last year’s local competition were so thrilled with the training and assistance they had received, that many said they felt like winners irrespective of who actually took the various titles.“It is a nice incentive for applicants to try and capture the investment prizes, but even if they don’t, taking part in the Business Bootcamps will help them fine tune their business plans, learn new enterprise skills and avail of the highest quality one to one mentoring and business coaching.”Well-known business trainer Gerry Moan is leading the Bootcamp this year, helping the local finalists work on fine-tuning their proposals ahead of the final. “To win you really need to be at the top of your game because there is a significant investment prize in each category and opportunities to progress as well to the regional finals.The Local Enterprise Office in Donegal has €50,000 to invest in three local businesses or start-ups – Best Idea (€10,000 investment prize), Best Start-Up (€20,000 investment prize) and Best Established Business (€20,000 investment prize),” Mr Tunney added.The local finalists will continue their boot-camp mentoring programme ahead of the county final that takes place in Letterkenny on September 10th.EndsCaption Some of the Donegal finalists in this year’s competition for Ireland’s Best Young Entrepreneur pictured with Danny McEleney of Donegal Local Enterprise Office and Gerry Moan at their training day in the Donegal Local Enterprise Office in Letterkenny.TENSION MOUNTS AMONG DONEGAL’S BRIGHTEST YOUNG ENTREPRENEURS was last modified: September 2nd, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more